[asterisk-users] Asterisk daemon dies about once per day

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Nov 26 16:20:44 CST 2008

On Wednesday 26 November 2008 13:59:49 Douglas Mortensen wrote:
> OK. I know it's been a few weeks since my original post. Things have been
> busy ;-) Based on help from the trixbox forums and the asterisk-users
> mailing list, I have located 30 asterisk core dump files in /tmp. These
> date from 10/30/08 to 10/24/08. Today is 10/26/08. So this does agree with
> the intermittent nature of the problem. Many days there are no dumps. Other
> days there are 5, 7, 6, 1, 4, or 2 dumps. I have used the viewcore tool as
> indicated on http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+debugging on one of the
> most recent dump files and posted the output here:
> http://kgotsi.com/static.php?page=static-asterisk-core-dumps I really don't
> know what all of the output it produced means, so I'm relying on others
> with more expertise here to take a look and tell me what insight it may
> provide.

I'm not sure who had the idea on running viewcore, but that information is
about the most useless debug output I've seen.  I'd recommend that you
follow the steps with gdb, as gdb provides FAR more useful output.

Also, Fonality binaries are not supported here.  You'd have to go to them
directly for any support.

> FYI, I have not recompiled asterisk yet. I'm a little nervous
> about downtime that could be caused by the process not going smoothly, but
> definitely willing to do so if that's what is needed to fix this problem.

Recompiling with the steps outlined in Murf's email is definitely the way to
go to get a resolution to your problem from this forum.

--
Tilghman