[asterisk-users] Large Asterisk installations (~10, 000 extensions), preferably at universities

Wilton Helm whelm at compuserve.com
Fri Nov 21 17:24:47 CST 2008

Yet another option is a commercial system with in-house staff.  I used to maintain a NEC (NEAX 2400) for many years.  I went to factory training and had total responsibility for it. Some manufacturers discourage or prevent this, but others are open to it.  There are also 3rd party organizations (such as Source) that can supply parts and even expertise for those going that direction.  Whether the result would be higher availability than Asterisk, I don't know.  Given I'm both a telco guy and a computer guru (CS degree) I'd probably go the Asterisk route myself, because its open and I would have more control.

Wilton

>and bug fixes than any commercial product sold in the intra-industrial channel

... and they won't charge you a $30,000 license fee for the upgrade.