[asterisk-users] Setting up to reveive faxes.

Gordon Henderson gordon+asterisk at drogon.net
Sat Nov 22 09:10:39 CST 2008

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008, Noah Miller wrote:

> Hi Ken -
>
>> Hey, all.  When I last was heavily into Asterisk (1.0.x), setting up to
>> receive faxes was, well, a PITA, what with having to patch the Asterisk
>> install with various driver patches and this, that, and the other.
>>
>> Is that still true?  Is there a fax HOWTO out there that reflects Asterisk
>> 1.4.x?
>
> Not sure if you mean IP faxing or TDM faxing, but I don't think you'll
> need to do any patching.  In general check out:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-Asterisk+fax
>
> For IP faxes, check out the wiki here:
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+T.38
>
> AFAIK: 1.4.x can't terminate IP faxes - only pass through, while 1.6.x
> can pass through and terminate with the help of spandsp.

Does this mean that 1.4 lost an ability that 1.2 currently has? Right now,
with 1.2, I use spandsp (or rather the RxFAX application which uses
spandsp) to terminate faxes and save them as TIF files, then outside
asterisk email them to the appropriate destination... I'm currently
looking at moving to 1.4 and this is something that's essential for me...
I guess it's time to look deeper into this.

Gordon