[asterisk-users] Large Asterisk installations (~10, 000 extensions), preferably at universities

Alex Balashov abalashov at evaristesys.com
Fri Nov 21 08:46:13 CST 2008

Jason Aarons (US) wrote:

> Just switching from Nortel to something else may not eliminate
> hardware/software failures, or prevent those without experience from
> pushing the enter key at the wrong time.

One also has to keep in mind - Asterisk, like any large open-source
project, gets a lot more QA, patches and bug fixes than any commercial
product sold in the intra-industrial channel (i.e. excluding consumer
mass-market stuff) ever will!  It has a massive installed base, many
users reporting bugs through an open and easy to understand process, and
a large community either directly or derivatively involved in
contributing fixes and testing code.

How much installed base from which to harness that kind of large-scale
technical feedback does Nortel have?  Avaya?  Cisco?

Asterisk has by far the best QA mechanism.  In terms of potential bugs
that impact "mission-critical" availability, I would feel better using
it than any of these black-box, proprietary vendor solutions any day.

--
Alex Balashov
Evariste Systems