[asterisk-users] Large Asterisk installations (~10, 000 extensions), preferably at universities

Jason Aarons (US) jason.aarons at us.didata.com
Fri Nov 21 08:38:02 CST 2008

Just switching from Nortel to something else may not eliminate
hardware/software failures, or prevent those without experience from
pushing the enter key at the wrong time.  You have to consider the two
professionals actually cost considerably more than just salary, due to
taxes, 401k, benefits and after they gain knowledge of your Asterisk
will they go to a VAR to make big money?  It's a catch-22.

I would start with a small pilot of anything (Nortel VoIP, Cisco VoIP,
Asterisk) and use it to build your knowledge/experience and then make an
informed decision versus a rush decision based upon how last week went
with the legacy equipment.  You might find you need to plan for PoE long
term, or have network issues, etc, etc.