[asterisk-users] Recommend Wireless IP Phone

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Sun Nov 9 16:36:11 CST 2008

Wilton Helm wrote:
> Wi-Fi SIP phones aren't limited to hot spots.  I am in the process of
> setting up asterisk for SOHO.  At present I'm not even using VoIP
> trunking, only LAN to stns and I intend to use Wi-Fi instead of analog
> cordless phone.  I got the Engenius one, and it works, but I haven't
> played with it much.  I was disappointed that it only has a single
> line appearance, as part of my reason for going SIP was to allow the
> same features like say my 941.  I also got their 600 mw access point,
> but haven't had time to try it.  My goal is to cover out 3 acre
> property and the 1/2 mile road to the mailbox, including mountainous
> terrain.  Maybe I'll share more when I actually get it all put together.

I think you will get better range and longer battery life from a DECT
phone though... Probably more features and better quality also!

Any of the panasonic DECT phones seem to work very nicely (speaker
phone, features, "R" key works for call transfer, handset intercom etc -
mine lasts up to a week on a single charge and light use) and there are
several Siemens DECT phones with a builtin SIP gateway which avoids the
need for an external adaptor box

It's definitely possible to make wifi work for half a mile and you don't
even need a 600mw transmitter to do that - however, wifi is all about
receive strength, and so you are unlikely to get a significantly better
coverage with a high power hotspot which is suboptimally placed.  If you
do go that route then getting the antennas into a location where 90% of
the signal isn't already killed going through walls before it has to
travel some distance is the trick.  Probably also consider a repeater of
some sort rather than just one high power device

Good luck though!

Ed W