[asterisk-users] Phishing attempt

Atis Lezdins atis at iq-labs.net
Wed Nov 5 09:58:49 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Steve Totaro
<stotaro at totarotechnologies.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> FYI/Heads up,
>>
>> I /just/ received what looks like a phishing attempt for information
>> about Open Source PBX usage.  It says it comes from Digium but all the
>> links (including the one for digium.com) point elsewhere.
>>

>> Rod
>> --
>
> I doubt it is a "Phishing Attempt", there are many free (or paid) survey
> websites that make creating surveys extremely easy, rather than coding and
> hosting the survey yourself.  I see it all the time.
>
> Anyways, it asks for nothing but usage statistics, so I am not sure what
> they are "Phishing" for?  Obviously, they already have your email, I guess
> they could get your IP and usage stats......  Harmless in my opinion, I am
> 99.9% sure it is from Diigium but even if not, I would answer the same
> questions if it were a survey from anyone in the community.  I just would
> not like the direct delivery method rather than the list.

Yes, but first impression was somehow weird - i received email from
Digium with links pointing elsewhere. I doubted for few seconds before
clicking anything (old habit from windows systems :)

Source of email seems legitimate, i just wonder why Digium didn't
survey on it's own page. It could have been done in simple way with
Google Documents, putting survey HTML on Digium site. Or just code a
few lines with PHP and you have exactly the same survey.

Btw, i somehow recall filling this out already a long time ago.

Regards,
Atis

From: =?utf-8?B?RGlnaXVt?= <webannounce at email.digium.com>

--