[asterisk-users] Phishing attempt

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Wed Nov 5 10:09:14 CST 2008

Steve Totaro wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org
> <mailto:raanders at acm.org>> wrote:
>
>     FYI/Heads up,
>
>     I /just/ received what looks like a phishing attempt for information
>     about Open Source PBX usage.  It says it comes from Digium but all the
>     links (including the one for digium.com <http://digium.com>) point
>     elsewhere.
>

>     Rod
>     --
>

> I doubt it is a "Phishing Attempt", there are many free (or paid) survey
> websites that make creating surveys extremely easy, rather than coding
> and hosting the survey yourself.  I see it all the time.

I was thinking the same except the link to digium.com was not to
http://www.digium.com.

> Anyways, it asks for nothing but usage statistics, so I am not sure what
> they are "Phishing" for?  Obviously, they already have your email, I
> guess they could get your IP and usage stats......  Harmless in my
> opinion, I am 99.9% sure it is from Diigium but even if not, I would
> answer the same questions if it were a survey from anyone in the
> community.  I just would not like the direct delivery method rather than
> the list.

If this is all it is then fine, but like you I think the direct delivery
method sucks.  I get far to many of these type of emails and most of
them phishing trips.  Takes time to check out the ones that look
legitimate, like this one from Digium.

So it was probably more a gripe posting that hopefully someone from
Digium will notice and do a bit more of a think before doing/allowing it
to happen again.

Rod