[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Fri May 16 08:56:30 CDT 2008

On Friday 16 May 2008 06:59:15 Al Baker wrote:
> this is one very weak area for *. There is NO ANSWER.
> Now in fairness to *, the answer DOES depend on a # of critical variables.
> How much CODEC to CODEC transcription is going on.
> How many MEET Me conferences are going on.
>
> On the other hand, DIGIUM COULD, since they have a lab take 4-5
> 'standard' workloads
> on two of the most common hardware boxes, say Dell & HP, and run x # of
> transcriptions and
> show the #'s.
> Then x # of meet-me conferences.
>
> Face it the DB Industry did this 15-2- YEARS ago with TP benckmarks
>
> Rockwell and NORTEL can tell you this for every piece of hardware they
> sell.
>
> It is a an area DIGIUM need to "man-up" in.

I'm not sure what your problem is with Digium.  They sell several machines
for which they publish very specific numbers as to how many users those
machines will support (the Switchvox appliances).  Note that these machines
are configurable only from the web interface, and they do not allow you to
install additional software.  In other words, when they give you a specific
machine, with a ton of those variables controlled, they can give you a number.

Digium is under no obligation to give you numbers for your own hardware.
That's up to you (and you get to control your own set of variables).

--
Tilghman