[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Matt Watson mwatson at becon.org
Fri May 16 09:52:31 CDT 2008

You can NOT use bogomips as any kind of measurement for system performance.

First of all, Bogomips is a linux-specific thing and not available on other OS that Asterisk runs on.

The second, and far more important point.  "Bogo" is taken from the word "Bogus".  Bogomips are not a measurement of system performance, it is simply a number used for calibrating parts of the kernel for your CPU.

The problem with coming up with these numbers of concurrent calls is that Asterisk is not a "complete package".  Meaning, it's the software portion only, most other systems when you get them are going to be the software & the hardware in one package, the 2 go hand in hand and are specifically designed for each other.

Asterisk does not fall into that category unless you invest in one of the many asterisk appliances out there.  Digium has no control over what hardware you are going to run Asterisk on, so they can't provide you with these numbers.

Heres a few questions at the top of my head that I think would influence the answer:

are you recording calls? are you transcoding calls?  are you using T1s or SIP/IAX trunks? Did you buy the 7.2krpm, 10krpm, or 15krpm hard-drives?  Do your harddrives have 8mb, 16mb, or 32mb cache? Did you buy the better SAS controller?  Did you buy 667mhz or 800mhz ram? Are you using EXT3, ReisferFS, XFS, JFS, ZFS, UFS?  Are you using AGIs?  Are you using MeetMEs? How many?  Whats the average length of the conferences?  Are devices using re-invites to take Asterisk out of the call loop?

The list goes on and on... and every single one of those answers is going to influence that number for "How many calls can my system handle?"

--
Matt