[asterisk-users] Asterisk concurrent calls count

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Fri May 16 09:11:11 CDT 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM, Tilghman Lesher
<tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com> wrote:
> On Friday 16 May 2008 06:59:15 Al Baker wrote:
>> this is one very weak area for *. There is NO ANSWER.
>> Now in fairness to *, the answer DOES depend on a # of critical variables.
>> How much CODEC to CODEC transcription is going on.
>> How many MEET Me conferences are going on.
>>
>> On the other hand, DIGIUM COULD, since they have a lab take 4-5
>> 'standard' workloads
>> on two of the most common hardware boxes, say Dell & HP, and run x # of
>> transcriptions and
>> show the #'s.
>> Then x # of meet-me conferences.
>>
>> Face it the DB Industry did this 15-2- YEARS ago with TP benckmarks
>>
>> Rockwell and NORTEL can tell you this for every piece of hardware they
>> sell.
>>
>> It is a an area DIGIUM need to "man-up" in.
>
> I'm not sure what your problem is with Digium.  They sell several machines
> for which they publish very specific numbers as to how many users those
> machines will support (the Switchvox appliances).  Note that these machines
> are configurable only from the web interface, and they do not allow you to
> install additional software.  In other words, when they give you a specific
> machine, with a ton of those variables controlled, they can give you a number.
>
> Digium is under no obligation to give you numbers for your own hardware.
> That's up to you (and you get to control your own set of variables).
>
> --
> Tilghman

Tilghman,

It seems any constructive criticism offered, you take as an attack
against Digium.  That is not a good attitude.

While under no obligation, it certainly would help sales.

I take "Appliance Numbers" with a grain of salt.  The sales model of
SwitchVox (and most others) is based on number of ports (SoHO, SMB,
Enterprise) not maximum number of ports that the appliance could
actually handle if not artificially constrained.

This is in the style of legacy proprietary systems and anther reason
why the sale cycle goes a little tougher than a custom job.  Asterisk
with FreePBX (and maybe Druid) eliminate these artificial constraints
on usage.

I have load averages and CPU usage stats in my mind for all the
various usages and hardware through experience in my mind.  Of course
they are only valuable to the exact setup I was doing.

Thanks,
Steve Totaro