[asterisk-users] PBX deployment big problems: Voip traffic analysis

Jared Smith jsmith at digium.com
Fri May 16 05:51:52 CDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 11:37 +0200, gincantalupo wrote:
> How do you face this kind of problems? Which diagnose tools/methods do
> you use?

If it were me, I'd start by using tcpdump, Wireshark, and or ngrep to
look at the network traffic and follow the signaling.  Yes, it takes a
little while to wrap your head around SIP and/or IAX2 conversations on
the wire and what they're supposed to look like, but any time you invest
will more than pay for itself later.

Also, it's always a good idea to have a firm understand of your network.
Are you measuring throughput on your switches?  VoIP traffic tends to
highlight network problems much quicker than typical network traffic,
due to its high sensitivity to latency and jitter.  If your network is
poor, then you're really just implementing VoBN (Voice over Bad
Network).

--
Jared Smith
Training Manager