[asterisk-users] Asterisk 3rd party developed commercial software sales licensing platform

Steve Totaro stotaro at totarotechnologies.com
Wed May 7 22:40:08 CDT 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 6:07 PM, Michael Collins <mcollins at fcnetwork.com> wrote:

> Gentlemen,
>

> Dean Collins alerted me to this thread which I had skipped over.  (Thanks,
> Dean.)  I thought I'd offer my viewpoint on the matter; please take it for
> what it is – just another opinion, although I hope it is an informed one.
> From my personal experience with buying software, licensing, and even music
> online, I've come to the conclusion that the best way to monetize an
> application or module is to make it easy for your paying customers to pay.
> Since thieves and hackers will always find ways around any security it is
> pointless to spend lots of time and money making something "uncrackable,"
> especially if that security implementation becomes onerous for your paying
> customers.  My viewpoint is this: make it easier to do a legit install than
> to circumvent the security and you'll get most paying customers to pay.
> Thieves don't generate revenue but paying customers do, so do your best to
> make it easy for them to pay.  That's my two cents, anyway.
>

> I'm definitely interested in other viewpoints, contrary or otherwise.  This
> discussion is definitely an important one for OSS.
>

> -Michael

Can this thread be moved to the biz list?  It really does not belong
here when words such as "the best way to monetize an application or
module" are used.  If someone were asking how to license G729, then
fine but this has obviously evolved into a biz conversation.

As far as locking MAC to address, it is quite trivial to alter that
and providing you are not running two boxes on the same LAN with the
same MAC, it works flawlessly.  Just ask Signate (if they are still
around) Maybe IPV6 might change that (if it ever becomes more than
talk and pet projects).

Thanks,
Steve Totaro