[asterisk-users] RE:Asterisk 3rd party developed commercial software sales licensing platform

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.com
Wed May 7 17:07:58 CDT 2008

Gentlemen,

Dean Collins alerted me to this thread which I had skipped over.
(Thanks, Dean.)  I thought I'd offer my viewpoint on the matter; please
take it for what it is - just another opinion, although I hope it is an
informed one.  From my personal experience with buying software,
licensing, and even music online, I've come to the conclusion that the
best way to monetize an application or module is to make it easy for
your paying customers to pay.  Since thieves and hackers will always
find ways around any security it is pointless to spend lots of time and
money making something "uncrackable," especially if that security
implementation becomes onerous for your paying customers.  My viewpoint
is this: make it easier to do a legit install than to circumvent the
security and you'll get most paying customers to pay.  Thieves don't
generate revenue but paying customers do, so do your best to make it
easy for them to pay.  That's my two cents, anyway.

I'm definitely interested in other viewpoints, contrary or otherwise.
This discussion is definitely an important one for OSS.

-Michael