[asterisk-users] Help Please - Asterisk MYSQL interface seems to be eating data

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon May 5 10:48:30 CDT 2008

On Monday 05 May 2008 10:16, Al Baker wrote:
> I must be overlooking it, I pulled up the electronic version and
> searched for and read every instance where ODBC was mentioned and I
> could not find a single place where it said
> ODBC was to be the only or even the best method.  If so I would never
> ever have gone down this road :(

While there are some things that you can do with the MYSQL app that you
can't do with func_odbc, most of what people want to do (single row queries,
updates, and inserts) can be done with func_odbc.  Additionally, it's well
supported, the author (me) is still around, and we're still considering
enhancements.  The MYSQL app is somewhat less certain.  I don't know if
the author is still around, it is largely in maintenance mode, and, due to a
matter of licensing, the app is not in the Asterisk core distribution.

ODBC is not going to be the only supported method of accessing a database;
some native drivers exist, and they will continue to exist.  The reason why
ODBC is so important to us is that it allows us to interface with many varied
databases out there for which the native API is not immediately available.
Additionally, it significantly lightens our maintenance workload not to have
to maintain drivers for some databases which our users may never use.  And
most of our database integration has been for the specific purpose of
realtime.  Our func_odbc module is about the most generic of database
interfaces, and its usage is completely user-defined, unlike realtime or the
other database interface (voicemail storage).

--
Tilghman