[asterisk-users] China vaults past USA in Internet users - now 220 million users in China

Matt Watson mwatson at becon.org
Sun May 4 10:00:51 CDT 2008

What Godaddy.com has told you is more or less correct.

Its not their fault that Chinese visitors cannot hit your pages... the internet is China is highly censored, and quite often they firewall even very large big name sites like BBC news.  Typically they block sites that have any type discuss any type of political matters that might be going on in China, or blog sites where chinese citizens might "speak out".  I'm not saying your site is one of these, but if they are infact doing it by IP address, its perfectly possible that your site just happens to be hosted on the same IP (or even IP block) as a site they decided to firewall - or perhaps a site used to occupy the same address space as you and they just haven't noticed its no longer there and un-firewalled it.

And yes, godaddy.com cannot guarentee that if you change IP addresses that the new one will work... just like they can't guarentee that myself or any visitors to my home will be able to access your website from my internet connection... i could firewall IPs from my home just like the chinese government can firewall sites from all of their citizens.  There is a chance that changing IPs will make it work, but theres also a chance the new IP will be firewalled too...

Just google for "Great Firewall of China"

--
Matt