[asterisk-users] How many maximum SIP Registrations can Asterisk Handle

Grey Man greymanvoip at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 04:03:33 CDT 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Abid Saleem Choudhary
<abidsaleem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am new to this community and just subscribed.
>
> We have Asterisk running in production but I could not find out in
> documentation as well as web that how many maximum number of registrations
> an Asterisk Server can support. We have it on a 1.4 GHz Processor, 2 GB RAM
> and 40 GB HDD IBM Server. Please suggest urgently.

Depends a lot on a few factors the ones I can think of off the top of
my head are:

1. The registration interval you use, the smaller the interval the
greater the load but the better at keeping NAT connections open,
2. Whether you use the qualify setting to help with keeping NAT
connections open,
3. Whether you are using realtime or a configuration file.
4. The load from calls,

With a best case scenario the answers to the above questions would be:

1. 3600,
2. No,
3. Configuration file,
4. Minimal

With that set up I'd guess that somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000
registrations would be something your hardware could handle.

However it would be normal that once the number of SIP accounts gets
to a certain point it becomes to painful to configure them via a
config file which means realtime with it's database option comes into
play. At that point you are better off taking the load from
registrations away from Asterisk. Asterisk is not a particularly good
SIP Registrar anyway so putting in something like OpenSER is a
superior option.

Regards,

Greyman.