[asterisk-users] Passing variables over IAX2 -- IAXVAR patch?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Mon Mar 24 18:07:12 CDT 2008

On Monday 24 March 2008 17:52, Eric Wieling wrote:
> Watkins, Bradley wrote:
> > Being able to pass variables around between systems is by *definition*
> > channel-specific, since the channel driver is the module responsible for
> > speaking a given protocol.  Besdies, SIP already has (and has had for a
> > long time) a method for doing this (SIP headers).  So does ISDN, for
> > that matter (IEs).
>
> I agree.  However, I can't see ANY reason to not make the interface
> similar to the interface used for SIP Headers, i.e. SIPAddHeader.

The interface is actually fairly similar, although the name is not identical
for obvious reasons, of course (it's not SIP).

> Stuff should work the same (from the perspective of the dialplan) across
> channel types as much as possible.

I would be very much interested in a common syntax.  Unfortunately, it's not
quite possible in this case, because you can add multiple SIP headers with the
same name (and that's considered a feature!), but the namespace is flat for
IAX2 (i.e. if you set foo multiple times, only the last value endures).  The
interface is very similar to channel variables, CALLERID() variables, and the
like, though.

--
Tilghman