[asterisk-users] Passing variables over IAX2 -- IAXVAR patch?

Bill Hackensack billhackensack at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:31:45 CDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:21 PM, Watkins, Bradley <
Bradley.Watkins at compuware.com> wrote:

> Being able to pass variables around between systems is by *definition*
> channel-specific, since the channel driver is the module responsible for
> speaking a given protocol.  Besdies, SIP already has (and has had for a
> long time) a method for doing this (SIP headers).  So does ISDN, for
> that matter (IEs).
>
> I stand corrected.  This is, in effect, I guess, completing a feature
set.  It is just "catching" IAX up with the other channels.  I have no
problem with that at all.  Honestly, I never thought about using SIP headers
to pass variables.

I see it as a good feature, I was just ticked that a patch that had been
worked on for so long was killed only because it was channel specific, and
then this patch gets added.  I understand now that feature wise, this wasn't
really adding anything, it was more or less completing the feature set, a
feature that I was not aware of to begin with until now.