[asterisk-users] Anyone used Siemens SIP/Dect phones?

Robert Lister robl at linx.net
Sat Mar 22 15:19:12 CDT 2008

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 09:08:43AM +0000, Alan Lord wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am close to purchasing some new DECT phones for our home office here
> in the UK.
>
> We use Asterisk and I am sorely tempted by the Siemens C475IP or the
> "soon-to-become-available-in-the-uk" S685IP.

Have been using the C460IP phones and they seem to work okay, the range on
them is excellent. I haven't had any problems with the base de-registering
from asterisk though. (maybe a NAT timeout issue?) They are very simple to
configure.

Limitations:

- No SIP call transfer feature (that I can find)
- Doesn't have any remote provisioning features (yet)
- Doesn't have any ability to forward calls from the analog side
   <-> SIP side, which is a shame as that would be handy.
- Base station supports multiple phones, but you can only register each
  handset with one base station. So if you have multiple base stations, you
  can't take advantage of that feature (i.e, allow the same handset to be
  used in multiple locations. Other DECT handsets that support multiple
  bases are available though.)
- I find it a bit quiet on the sound quality, sometimes a problem with
  background noise.
- No VoIP message waiting indicator

Maybe some or all of these are addressed in the C475IP?

--
Robert Lister     - London Internet Exchange - http://www.linx.net/
sip:robl at linx.net - inoc-dba:5459*710        - tel: +44 (0)20 7645 3510