[asterisk-users] replace astdb with a cluster-capable sql database engine (was: Re: asterisk-users Digest, Vol 44, Issue 22)

Matthew Rubenstein email at mattruby.com
Sun Mar 9 11:23:50 CDT 2008

	unix-odbc with Asterisk Realtime is one good way to use a different
backend DB than MySQL. I haven't heard of "bit rot" problems running it
over long times, but I'd like to if there are any. I'm particularly
interested in seeing reports of Asterisk Realtime backed by Postgres.

	The problem with pointing dialplan DB functions like Set(DB) at
unix-odbc (or any relational driver) is that the native functions use
the very fast BDB, not a relational one, that has very different
(better) scaling profiles than running those calls over a database
driver, especially across a network. Having all those BDB data available
in the relational DB for joins and other integrated queries (and backup
and other RDBMS features) would be great, but there is danger in
switching from the simple and high performance BDB into a more complex
RDBMS. One way to do it is to leave the native BDB system, but interface
a replica in the RDBMS to it. A polling process that replicates the BDB
data into the RDBMS, and (if not negligible) updates the RDBMS with a
read whenever the RDBMS copy is used (and then writes to the BDB when
the RDBMS replica changes) would let the BDB remain as a fast/reliable
"cache" directly to Asterisk, but use its data properly in the RDBMS.

	I'm interested in seeing any work performed on integrating Asterisk's
data tier away from its defaults. Especially when that work is making
Postgres the authoritive data store. I have various info that can help
such a project, if people are really working on it.

--

(C) Matthew Rubenstein