[Asterisk-Dev] Choice of astdb backend -- questions...

Rob Fugina rob.fugina at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 09:03:42 MST 2004

I've read the bit in db.c about the license incompatability between
db3 and the GPL, so I realize why db1 is being used over db3.

What I'm wondering is why the Berkeley DB was chosen over dbm, gdbm,
or other possibilities.  I've had trouble more than once trying to
read the astdb file from outside asterisk, and it seems it would be a
lot easier if something more current were used.

Has this question been covered before?  It looks like astdb usage
within asterisk is pretty well abstracted -- could another format be
substituted?  Would there be any interest or support for this by the
core developers?

Thanks,
Rob