[asterisk-users] WirelessIP5000 SIP registration problem

Jim Meehan jmeehan-asterisk at vpizza.org
Fri Mar 7 10:10:27 CST 2008

I have a Hitachi WirelessIP5000 phone (the original 1st gen hardware).  It's
running the latest firmware (v2.2.6) and my Asterisk server is running
1.2.10.  This setup has been working great for me for a long time, and then
last week I started having a problem where the Hitachi phone loses
registration.  It registers fine when I first power it on, but at some point
later the display shows "Not Register" and the phone never attempts to
re-register after that.  The length of time depends on the expire setting.
If I press the "Register" soft key on the phone, it re-registers fine, only
to lose registration again later on.  I have not made any config changes to
the phone.  I have made some extensions.conf changes on the Asterisk server,
but I can't think of any way that would cause this problem.

I did look at a packet trace of the SIP communication between the phone and
server.  SIP registration expire is set to 60 seconds.  When the phone first
powers up, it sends a SIP REGISTER without an "Authorization:" header.  The
Asterisk server replies with "401 Unauthorized."  The phone immediately
sends another REGISTER with the "Authorization:" header included and
succeeds.  At 30 seconds after power up, the phone sends another REGISTER
without "Authorization:" and gets "401 Unauthorized" and then immediately
retries, again without the "Authorization:" header.  At 60 seconds after
power up, the phone's display changes to "Not Register" and it never tries
to register again unless I press the "Register" key or power cycle the
phone.

Anyone have any idea what could be going on here?  I have tried downgrading
the phone's firmware to v2.1.11 and had the same problem.  I have not tried
upgrading to a newer version of Asterisk, but seems like that shouldn't be
necessary since thing were working fine before.

Any help appreciated.