[asterisk-users] Background: reading the digits correctly, buffering it, waiting the sound message to complete

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 09:30:54 CST 2008

Hi Bilal -

>  1) If I pressed 1 twice (11), so it runs the step
>  related to first 1 and then it runs the step related
>  to second 1, so it does buffering for my input and run
>  two steps, how can I make it run only the step related
>  to first entered digit "1" and does not do buffering
>  (so ignoring the second input)?

I don't think asterisk is doing any buffering here.  It's just
reacting quickly enough that it sends the first '1' to the first IVR
menu and then advances to the second IVR menu and sends the next '1'
there.

>  2) If I waited the sound message to completed and then
>  I entered my digits, it reads it correctly without
>  duplication in the DTMF and without any problem, but
>  if i entered my digits from the beginning of the sound
>  message (without waiting to complete it), then
>  asterisk might read the digits duplicated (specially
>  first entered digit), how can I resolve it? Does
>  playback resolve my problem? Any solution for
>  Background to avoid this behaviour?

I can think of two things:

1. Use different extensions in the second IVR menu so 1 is not a valid response
2. As you suggested, insert a brief Playback() into the second menu
that says "Please listen to the following options"

>  Note: I set the relaxdtmf=yes and I made the
>  toneduration=500.

If your DTMF is working correctly, I would not try to make any changes
there to influence menu selections.

- Noah