[asterisk-users] Voicemail- Recorded Mesage Low Volume

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Mon Jun 30 13:32:58 CDT 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Daniel Hazelbaker wrote:

>> I'm intrigued by this and wanted to try it out - but I'm wondering how
>> you get Asterisk to call sox at all during Voicemail()? Our server
>> doesn't even have sox installed, so I'm not sure how to go about
>> tricking Asterisk into running a different one.

> To do anything useful you would have to get sox installed on your
> server.

If you are using RedHat or CentOS, installing sox should be as simple as:

 	sudo yum install sox

Other distros have similar commands.

> But to get asterisk to run a different/fake sox, just install whatever
> you want to run as /usr/local/bin/sox and then edit your safe_asterisk
> script as I mentioned below.

I think this is a bad approach. It's going to be a big "gotcha" down the
road for somebody :)

> Asterisk runs the program 'sox' using the first match in your $PATH, so
> by updating the $PATH before asterisk runs you can direct it to run a
> different sox program.

A quick grep through the Asterisk (1.2.28) sources shows res_monitor using
soxmix if the channel variable MONITOR_EXEC is not defined -- but nothing
in app_voicemail. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance,