[asterisk-users] Voicemail- Recorded Mesage Low Volume

Daniel Hazelbaker daniel at highdesertchurch.com
Mon Jun 30 12:24:10 CDT 2008

> Hi Daniel,
>
> I'm intrigued by this and wanted to try it out - but I'm wondering how
> you get Asterisk to call sox at all during Voicemail()? Our server
> doesn't even have sox installed, so I'm not sure how to go about
> tricking Asterisk into running a different one.

To do anything useful you would have to get sox installed on your
server.  But to get asterisk to run a different/fake sox, just install
whatever you want to run as /usr/local/bin/sox and then edit your
safe_asterisk script as I mentioned below.  Asterisk runs the program
'sox' using the first match in your $PATH, so by updating the $PATH
before asterisk runs you can direct it to run a different sox
program.  Be aware that this could pose a security issue as some
systems allow regular users to modify /usr/local/bin.  So people could
install other programs that asterisk runs into that directory as well
to get elevated privileges.  For me it is not a concern as the machine
is used only for Asterisk and only accessed by our IT department.

Daniel