[asterisk-users] is it possible? 1 VOIP Provider Multiple registrations <to> multiple inbound contexts

Steve Gladden asterisk at michiganbroadband.com
Thu Jun 26 19:20:19 CDT 2008

The scenario:

This is all done SIP with a VOIP provider (have to register to single IP)
We have two inbound DID numbers / Accounts.

We have to register each individually with the VOIP provider.

I'd like inbound from each registered account (DID)
to be able to come into a unique PEER or dialplan context.

What matters is that the inbound call lands in the context of my choice.

I've been told that the PEER can be made to match DID or account name but
I'm not sure how to do this.

In other words how to match a registration to a peer or inbound context
other that the single defined default.

I've also been told back in the asterisk 1.2 days that it was not possible.

I just recently upgraded to the latest 1.4 and am wondering if there have
been updates to make this work.

In the past I always had to bring all calls into a default context and
then use GOTO to get the inbound call where it needed to go.

Do I still need to do this today? or is there a better way to make this
actually work and come into the proper context.

I'm confused on how to get multiple registrations to be associated with
any more than one default registration inbound context, or somehow to
associate them with the peer of choice.

I've tried amongst other things appending /extension at context approach to a
register: line which does not work.

I've also tried adding "register=yes" inside a peer which seems to do
nothing meaning it does not cause the system to register with the VOIP
provider or even try to register.

Thanks for your help!
-Steve

Here's a small example of what I am working with:
Without getting into too much detail and showing

Please realize I have everything else working well except getting an
inbound call into a context that I choose.
So I've not provided any more detail showing that those actually exist in
the dialplan.. those work and I have working "s" and test extensions in my
dialplan contexts that work as well :-)

register => 7341112222:testpassword at sip.exampleprovider.net
; standard inbound to 's' in default inbound context
; would like to be able to direct that inbound call
; into context1 instead of common default defined

register => 7341113333:testpassword at sip.exampleprovider.net/100 at context2
;example of me trying to get inbound call to 102 in context: context2

[peer-1]

type=peer
context=context1
secret=testpassword