[asterisk-users] Telco MWI with Asterisk 1.6-beta9

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Jun 22 18:51:12 CDT 2008

Jim Duda wrote:

> My Telco service is Verizon FIOS.  I know that MWI is working, because
> if I pick up an analog phone set attached to the line, I can hear the
> stutter tone.

The MWI detection in chan_zap/chan_dahdi is not for stutter tone; it
supports either FSK MWI pulses (slimier to Caller ID, but transmitted
during idle times on the line), or neon-style pulses of AC.

Unless your telco service specifically supports phones that can display
whether you have new messages (and how many), you don't have the right
kind of MWI signaling from the telco. It is doubtful that *any*
residential phone service will work in the way that chan_zap is
expecting; FSK and neon MWI signaling are generated by legacy PBX
systems with analog ports, not telco (CO) switches.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Director of Software Technologies