[asterisk-users] Telco MWI with Asterisk 1.6-beta9

Jerry Jones jjones at danrj.com
Mon Jun 23 09:44:47 CDT 2008

On Jun 22, 2008, at 6:51 PM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Jim Duda wrote:
>
>> My Telco service is Verizon FIOS.  I know that MWI is working,
>> because
>> if I pick up an analog phone set attached to the line, I can hear the
>> stutter tone.
>
> The MWI detection in chan_zap/chan_dahdi is not for stutter tone; it
> supports either FSK MWI pulses (slimier to Caller ID, but transmitted
> during idle times on the line), or neon-style pulses of AC.
>
> Unless your telco service specifically supports phones that can
> display
> whether you have new messages (and how many), you don't have the right
> kind of MWI signaling from the telco. It is doubtful that *any*
> residential phone service will work in the way that chan_zap is
> expecting; FSK and neon MWI signaling are generated by legacy PBX
> systems with analog ports, not telco (CO) switches.

Actually CLASS MWI, ie FSK, is a standard feature of Telco COs.

It may be used with stutter, they are not exclusive, check with Verizon.

I designed and manufactured these 20 years ago and Kevin is correct
it uses same technology as CallerID known as CLASS. The analog
styles, which I also designed and manufactured, are only found on PBX
systems. There are several flavors that all signal based on some
voltage mechanism.