[asterisk-users] Similar extension numbers for multiple users

Noah Miller noahisaacmiller at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 16:07:50 CDT 2008

Hi Zeeshan -

If you have multiple tenants using the same extensions range, you have
two options:

1) have the tenants call each other via their PSTN numbers, and then
dial the internal 1XX extension
2) assign a special prefix for each of the tenants to call each other.
 For example, tenant one has a prefix of 1, tenant 2 has a prefix of
2, tenant 3 has a prefix of 3, etc.  If user from tenant 3 wants to
call someone from tenant one, they would dial 11XX, and to dial
someone in tenant 2, they would dial 21XX, etc.

If your SIP phones support non-numeric dialing you could add letter
suffixes like you had suggested, but not too many phones support this.

Personally, I'd forego both options above and assign each tenant to a
unique extension range: tenant 1 gets 1XX, tenant 2 gets 2XX, etc.

- Noah