[asterisk-users] PoE budget

Bill Michaelson bill at cosi.com
Thu Jun 5 17:08:59 CDT 2008

I'm considering using a PoE switch like this...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3023334&CatId=2800

...to power as many as 24 Polycom phones of varied kinds.

The sales lit indicates >190 watts available for PoE devices. But I'm
concerned about a problem someone reported elsewhere...

They said...
Is there a reason that Polycom phones do not support PoE classes? We ran
into a scenario recently where we could only power 11 Polycom 550's on a
24 port switch.

This is because the Polycoms do not announce themselves as being in a
specific PoE class, even though the phones only need 6W the switch
assumes they need as much power as possible and allocates 14.5W to each
port. We have had to resort to running unsupported firmware on the
switch to get it to power 24 phones.

Does anybody here have insight about this?