[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Philipp von Klitzing klitzing at pool.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
Thu Jun 5 08:49:16 CDT 2008

Hi!

> I am actually interested in the topic of this post. Ast 1.6 vs 1.4. We
> are using asterisk 1.4.2 for a SIP only based configuration. [...] We
> are planning to accomodate about 5,000 users on this server.

Many people on this list will advise you to use a SIP proxy like
OpenSER in front of Asterisk to take care of SIP registrations - I'll do
the same. ;->

> Before the release of 1.6 i heard that its architecture is going to be
> different from 1.2 and 1.4. Recently i read an article about
> freeswitch, which explains how its functionality is like asterisk but
> it can perform better than asterisk due to its architectural
> differences. [...] If asterisk architecture is being rewritten in 1.6
> to achive the same goal, then we will be happy to use 1.6 instead of
> shifting the whole system to freeswitch.

Looks like you've just decided to move to FreeSwitch ;-> While "early
testing" shows that 1.6 can increase SIP performance compared to 1.4 up
to factor 3-4, this release is by no means a from-the-ground-up re-write
like FreeSwitch.

Read more:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+v1.6
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+dimensioning