[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Rizwan Hisham rizwanhasham at gmail.com
Thu Jun 5 07:37:07 CDT 2008

Brent, hope your problems go away soon.

I am actually interested in the topic of this post. Ast 1.6 vs 1.4. We are
using asterisk 1.4.2 for a SIP only based configuration. Currently we have
about 200 SIP users which can cause approximately upto 3 simultaneous calls.
We are mainly concerned about the performance and stability of asterisk when
the load increases. Our server can handle about 100 simultaneous calls
having 3Ghz Dual Intl-Xeon Processor with 2GB of ram using G711 codec, and
around 30 simultanoeus calls using G729 codec. This we are expecting from
the hardware. We are planning to accomodate  about 5,000 users on this
server.

Before the release of 1.6 i heard that its architecture is going to be
different from 1.2 and 1.4. Recently i read an article about
freeswitch<http://freeswitch.org/node/117>,
which explains how its functionality is like asterisk but it can perform
better than asterisk due to its architectural differences. The main
developer for freeswitch is anthony who also codes for asterisk. He
explaines why the architecture of asterisk needs to be changed which
requires massive recoding, but nobody took the step to do it. Thats why he
started freeswitch on his own to redifine the architecture, so that the
performance and reliability of the switch should be better than asterisk. In
his article he has already said that freeswitch beats asterisk by a factor
of 10.

If asterisk architecture is being rewritten in 1.6 to achive the same goal,
then we will be happy to use 1.6 instead of shifting the whole system to
freeswitch. We dont have any problem or issues with 1.4.2 yet. We are mainly
concerned about the its performance when the load increases. If 1.6 is more
reliable under heavy loads then we would like to use it.

If anyone can put some light on this topic, all i can say is thanx for
sharing your thaughts and experiences.

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 1:13 AM, Brent Davidson <brent at texascountrytitle.com>
wrote:

> Just an update.  I tried updating to the newest Rhino Release firmware
> 1.15 and newest stable driver version 2.2.6.  It works OK with
> zaptel-1.4.9.2 and compiles OK with 1.4.10.1 but when compiled against
> zaptel 1.4.10.1 Asterisk does not see any zap channels.  I'm currently
> running one branch office with the upgraded firmware, driver,
> zaptel-1.4.9.2 and Asterisk-1.4.20.1.  I'll see how everything goes
> there and may upgrade the other offices if it works OK.
>
> Thanks,
> Brent

Best Regards
Rizwan Hisham