[asterisk-users] Asterisk 1.6 vs 1.4?

Brent Davidson brent at texascountrytitle.com
Thu Jun 5 13:37:40 CDT 2008

Philipp von Klitzing wrote:
> Hi!
>

>> I am actually interested in the topic of this post. Ast 1.6 vs 1.4. We
>> are using asterisk 1.4.2 for a SIP only based configuration. [...] We
>> are planning to accomodate about 5,000 users on this server.
>>

> Many people on this list will advise you to use a SIP proxy like
> OpenSER in front of Asterisk to take care of SIP registrations - I'll do
> the same. ;->

I've seen comments similar to this going around a lot and I've never
really understood it.  I guess maybe I won't understand it until I am in
a situation where I need to handle a huge call volume and hundreds or
thousands of users (I.E. probably never).  In my situation, using
Asterisk as a distributed PBX with Snom SIP phones I haven't had any
problems at all with the asterisk end of the system.  All of my
problems, and I have to stress they are MINOR problems have been related
to interfacing to the analog PSTN.  I have not not meshed all of the
branch offices together yet, so I may run into further issues there, but
all of the inter-office calling will be handled by IAX trunking.  I
really like these Snom 300 phones as far as audio quality goes.  I wish
they had a few more programmable buttons but that was a purchasing
oversight.  We underestimated the number of programmable buttons we
would need and opted for the 300 instead of the 360.  I also wished they
used IAX.  It's fairly obvious during the software update process
thatthey run either a Linux or BSD derivative so it shouldn't be too
difficult to develop an IAX firmware for them, even if it has to be done
by a third party.  I wonder why more vendors haven't adopted IAX yet?

-Brent