[asterisk-users] HP thin client ( was IAX2 hardware video phone )

Michael Graves mgraves at mstvp.com
Sun Jun 1 15:13:16 CDT 2008

On Sun, 01 Jun 2008 15:32:53 -0400, John Novack wrote:

>> You can turn them into a firewall.
>>
>Well, maybe.
>The earlier models , some of which have a PCI slot, require an expansion
>kit that no longer seems to be available. The 5730 expansion kit is or
>was recently available, but won't fit the earlier cases, so unless you
>are willing to kludge something to give two ethernet ports or have
>another way to do a firewall, they aren't really good candidates.
>They certainly have lots of other uses though, including Astlinux, a
>very clever package that packs a lot into a small package.

You can use a USB ethernet adapter for the second port, but be aware
that the USB ports are 11 mbps USB 1.1.

The ones I have are T5730, which are older. The current expansion
chasis fits them though. That part is still a current product available
from HP for under $30.

Tracking back some traffic to my blog I see that there is a a Danish
group that have followed my example and used T5700s as hosts for Slim
Devices SlimServer streaming music to Squeezeboxen. Whereas my approach
was to add a USB 2.0 PCI card and use an external hard drive they
elected to add a 2.5" HD right inside the T5700 chasis.

There are a lot of uses for these little boxes. I could do with a few
more, if anyone has a surplus.

Michael

--
Michael Graves