[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Lee, John (Sydney) John.Lee at compuware.com
Tue Jul 29 21:50:58 CDT 2008

Thanks Steve for your suggestions.

> In China you will generally get either MFC/R2 or EuroISDN. MFC/R2 is
> much more common.

This is exactly my current problem.
NETCOM in Shanghai just told my local contact it is an E1 and that's it.
I have no idea whether it is MFC/R2 or EuroISDN and so there is a lot of
trial and error, not to mention about communicating with the telco.
Is there anyway I could find out from zaptel what the line signal is?

> The only oddity with EuroISDN is that it often provided without CRC4.
> That doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is. MFC/R2 seems to be
> universally provided without CRC4 in China.

That's great info, Steve.

> You said you are sure the card is OK. How did you determine that? Have
> you tried a loopback cable between two its its ports? Are you sure the
> cable you have used is OK?

I am quite sure that the Digium card is fine because it is a new card
from Digium and I sent it from here.  My experience with Digium cards
has been good.
As far as the cable goes, this is a bit complicated.  The way it works
is the telco delivers a fibre optic cable to the floor and the fibre
terminates on a fibre optic multiplexer.  Then the multiplexer is
connected to a Fast Ethernet to E1 converter which has a RJ45 port.  We
then connect this RJ45 port to the TE412P port.

Anyway, the quality of the data cables in China appears to be really bad
and I will have to send some better quality cables from down under to
them to try.