[asterisk-users] Newbie in China: Red alaram in Zaptel for E1

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Wed Jul 30 00:48:59 CDT 2008

John wrote:
> Thanks Steve for your suggestions.

>> In China you will generally get either MFC/R2 or EuroISDN. MFC/R2 is
>> much more common.
>>

> This is exactly my current problem.
> NETCOM in Shanghai just told my local contact it is an E1 and that's it.
> I have no idea whether it is MFC/R2 or EuroISDN and so there is a lot of
> trial and error, not to mention about communicating with the telco.
> Is there anyway I could find out from zaptel what the line signal is?

International installs are always fun.  I have had some luck getting a
local employee to relay my questions about provisioning, but all to often
the response is 'We use the standard settings...'.  At that point I
resort to trial and error.

I have setup a circuit in Shanghai, it is an E1, CRC4/HDB3 with the
telco switch being/or compatible with AT&T 5ESS.  You should be able
to get Netcom to tell you if the circuit is ISDN or not.  Asking
if it is a PRI will just confuse them, but they do understand the
question 'ISDN or not ISDN'

>> The only oddity with EuroISDN is that it often provided without CRC4.
>> That doesn't make a lot of sense, but there it is. MFC/R2 seems to be
>> universally provided without CRC4 in China.
>>
> That's great info, Steve.

Dan