[asterisk-users] Cisco vs Asterisk

Senad Jordanovic senad at bicom.us
Thu Jul 24 15:56:00 CDT 2008

T G wrote:
> I'm a CCIE and CCVP. I have worked in the Cisco TSBU on both CCM and
> Telepresence systems I have two IP patents for the VoiP Lite protocols
> and have been designing and building OSS IPBXs for companies including
> Google going back to 2001.
>
> I'm not mentioning any of that to be jerk I mentioned it to say I'm as
> qualified as anyone to to compare the CCM and OSS servers.
>
> The only fair way to compare the two is a list of weights features, for
> example if cost is your biggest feature then OSS is better, if support
> is your biggest feature than Cisco wins.
>
> When a customer is comparing the costly (TCO) and best supported systems
> in the world with hundreds of thousands installed systems for the large
> global companies on the planted backed by 54,000 employees and over $25b
> in the bank vs, a FREE system with one layer of support maybe two layers
> of support, the features don't even come in the evaluation in my opinion.
>
> I once asked a manager why did you buy the CCM and he said no one ever
> got fired for buying Cisco if anything wrong, If push the OSS and it
> goes I could loose my job.
>
> I would get a list of the important features, because there is no answer
> to your question of which is better.

What you mentioned above is mostly correct presuming you are referencing
OSS being provided by an organisation with limited resources and perhaps
limited experience in OS.

Spin that into a perspective of a well organised company harvesting full
potential of OS, adding its own proprietary software level allowing it
to offer value products and EXCELLENT support, then I will strongly
disagree with you.

In particular where customer solution isn't just a solution, but rather
its products and people becomes your business's communications partner.

Senad
www.bicomsystems.com