[asterisk-users] How to monitor Asterisk logs ?

Steve Edwards asterisk.org at sedwards.com
Wed Jul 16 16:09:31 CDT 2008

(reordering to eliminate top posting...)

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008, Al Baker wrote:

> I think this is another area DIGIUM has failed to address in any
> meaningful way.
> If they TRULY  see themselves as a TELCO replacements for large shop
> they REALLY need to step up to
> proving INFO, WARN, ERROR messaging in a unified reliable manner. Such
> as a SNMP messaging ability for all
> INFO, ERROR, and WARN level messages.
> The very ideal of having to "parse" a log file for error messages whose
> form and meaning  may be added to , deleted, or changed
> by the vendor at any time is just reasonable

I don't know if your assumptions above are correct...

I like sending all of the cruft to syslog. I use a central log server in
all applications on all my systems.

When something goes bump, it's nice to see everything that was happening
in the same temporal space instead of scattered between files and
protocols.

(OT -- does anybody know the mojo to get MySQL to directly log to syslog?)

There are syslog replacements if you want to do more advanced stuff like
triggering actions.

The entire source of logger.c is just under 1,000 lines (1.2). Adding an
SNMP or xxx logging resource shouldn't be all that involved.

Thanks in advance,