[asterisk-users] How to monitor Asterisk logs ?

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Wed Jul 16 16:15:00 CDT 2008

On Wednesday 16 July 2008 15:34:30 Al Baker wrote:
> I think this is another area DIGIUM has failed to address in any
> meaningful way.

I don't understand the attitude here.  This is an open source community, where
everybody shares in the responsibility of improving the core project.  If you
feel that there is something lacking, then the entire community shares in
that, not just Digium.  And, in fact, it includes you.

> If they TRULY  see themselves as a TELCO replacements for large shop
> they REALLY need to step up to
> proving INFO, WARN, ERROR messaging in a unified reliable manner. Such
> as a SNMP messaging ability for all
> INFO, ERROR, and WARN level messages.

That's an interesting idea, and perhaps someone might pick up on the idea and
run with it.  Perhaps you might and donate your efforts back to the project.

> The very ideal of having to "parse" a log file for error messages whose
> form and meaning  may be added to , deleted, or changed
> by the vendor at any time is just reasonable

I think you meant "unreasonable" here.  I'm not sure why it's unreasonable
to expect administrators to read logs; that is, in fact, precisely why they're
there.  If an administrator wanted to ignore all logs, well, there exists the
possibility of turning them off, though I wouldn't recommend it.

--
Tilghman