[asterisk-users] (announce) asterisk T.38 gateway

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jul 10 20:01:42 CDT 2008

On Thursday 10 July 2008 18:48:15 Rob Hillis wrote:
> Matt Watson wrote:
> > That being said... i;m also quite pleased to see T.38 support being
> > worked on for Asterisk... its a pretty important area to further
> > develop IMHO.
>
> I absolutely agree.  It's been a notable omission for some time.
> Unfortunately getting it written isn't the major part of the battle.
> Due to the license incompatibilities between SpanDSP and Asterisk, this
> work is almost guaranteed /not/ to make it into the base Asterisk souce.
> (from what I recall, the problem is that Steve won't sign the disclaimer
> Digium requires for work to make it in to Asterisk - and I hasten to add
> that I don't blame him, given that if he did, his GPL work would end up
> as part of a fully commercial version of Asterisk!)

Actually, what has motivated this recent change is that Steve has released
SpanDSP under the LGPL, which is fully compatible with the Digium license.
So while his insistence on the GPL has previously kept it out of the core
Asterisk distribution, his recent change in licensing is what will make
putting it into Asterisk possible.

> Therefore, the /real/ battle is keeping the code maintained so that it
> will continue to work with Asterisk.

Not anymore, unless he returns to the GPL license.  And even then, the
version that he released as LGPL can still be independently maintained.

--
Tilghman