[asterisk-users] (announce) asterisk T.38 gateway

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Jul 14 00:13:38 CDT 2008

Matt Watson wrote:
> I'd probably be a little pissed if I were Steve Underwood if somebody
> pocketed over 10k $USD for taking credit for a product that my free library
> did the bulk of the work for.

I can't speak for Steve at all, but any major contributor to an
open-source project faces this, so maybe my comments can be helpful in
understanding at least how *I* feel on this matter.

As an open-source contributor I have tried to make it very clear to
those who choose to use my contributions that *no* thanks or other
expressions of gratitude are required or expected.  I have already
received my just reward; I make sure of that before I even undertake the
development process.  Certainly a thanks here or there is welcome and
heart-warming.  And best of all is when someone else chooses to help in
the development process.  But none of that is expected or required.

I've worked for (and received) a bounty before, but in that case I did
not release the code until after the bounty was received or in the hands
of an escrow agent.  As T.38 gateway development for Asterisk was worth
so very much more than US$10K, I can't help but believe that Steve's
motivation was from elsewhere, and that he did not necessarily have his
sights on that goal.

However, if it was *me* who had put up that bounty I would double-check
that the claimant actually did the work before I paid out... and I would
divide up the bounty payment accordingly if it was not all done by that
person.

Thanks,

Lee.