[asterisk-users] (announce) asterisk T.38 gateway

Rob Hillis rob at hillis.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 10 18:48:15 CDT 2008

Matt Watson wrote:
> That being said... i;m also quite pleased to see T.38 support being
> worked on for Asterisk... its a pretty important area to further
> develop IMHO.

I absolutely agree.  It's been a notable omission for some time.
Unfortunately getting it written isn't the major part of the battle.
Due to the license incompatibilities between SpanDSP and Asterisk, this
work is almost guaranteed /not/ to make it into the base Asterisk souce.
(from what I recall, the problem is that Steve won't sign the disclaimer
Digium requires for work to make it in to Asterisk - and I hasten to add
that I don't blame him, given that if he did, his GPL work would end up
as part of a fully commercial version of Asterisk!)

Therefore, the /real/ battle is keeping the code maintained so that it
will continue to work with Asterisk.