[asterisk-users] Spoofing CID

Tilghman Lesher tilghman at mail.jeffandtilghman.com
Thu Jul 3 17:23:00 CDT 2008

On Thursday 03 July 2008 15:54:36 Alexander Lopez wrote:
> Neither DHS nor FTC has any legislation on this. Florida house had a
> bill. Unfortunately, Collection agencies are deceptive by nature as most
> other options have been exhausted before an account goes to collections.
> I get the same thing here; they once even called me from a number that
> had my same last name!!
>
> There is one Alex Lopez (NOT ME!!!!) here in Miami that owes a lot of
> people a lot of money. I get calls at all times of the day and night,
> they forge the number, and so what do they care about following the FTC
> rules!!!!
>
> I feel your pain. I may create an IVR Hell for them, so that I can
> transfer the calls to, Hey, Its their dime.

A registered letter, with return receipt is the best way to deal with these
clowns.  If that doesn't work, your only alternative is to file a lawsuit.
There are some good online resources for this.  Filing a lawsuit is actually
fairly inexpensive, but when you compare that to the expense they incur
simply to have a lawyer show up in court, unless this guy owes thousands
of dollars (enough to make it worth their while in court), they will do
everything in their power to avoid getting into that scenario.

Collection efforts are all about making you feel badly enough that you cave
in to their demands.  Making them spend money to collect money is exactly
the opposite of what they want to do, and thus it's the most effective way to
get them to back down.

--
Tilghman