[asterisk-users] Spoofing CID

Alexander Lopez Alex.Lopez at OpSys.com
Thu Jul 3 18:54:47 CDT 2008

Snip

> On Thursday 03 July 2008 15:54:36 Alexander Lopez wrote:
Snip

> > There is one Alex Lopez (NOT ME!!!!) here in Miami that owes a lot
of
> > people a lot of money. I get calls at all times of the day and
night,
> > they forge the number, and so what do they care about following the
FTC
> > rules!!!!
> >
> > I feel your pain. I may create an IVR Hell for them, so that I can
> > transfer the calls to, Hey, Its their dime.
>
> A registered letter, with return receipt is the best way to deal with
> these
> clowns.  If that doesn't work, your only alternative is to file a
lawsuit.
> There are some good online resources for this.  Filing a lawsuit is
> actually
> fairly inexpensive, but when you compare that to the expense they
incur
> simply to have a lawyer show up in court, unless this guy owes
thousands
> of dollars (enough to make it worth their while in court), they will
do
> everything in their power to avoid getting into that scenario.
>
> Collection efforts are all about making you feel badly enough that you
> cave
> in to their demands.  Making them spend money to collect money is
exactly
> the opposite of what they want to do, and thus it's the most effective
way
> get them to back down.
>
> --
> Tilghman

Snip

I stay quit most of the time and let them provide the sensitive data. I
never give them my Social but I will confirm that they have the wrong
one.

Problem with a certified letter is that they hang up before you can get
that info from them.

Another problem with this is that some calls may actually be phishing.
Fishing is big in Florida, but it seams that phishing is big all over
the world!!!