[asterisk-users] Does an IAXy require registration?

Tim Panton thp at westhawk.co.uk
Wed Jul 2 14:12:28 CDT 2008

On 2 Jul 2008, at 18:16, Steve Edwards wrote:

> I'm fighting a losing battle with voiptalk.org in the UK.
>

> Now I learn that they don't support registration!
>
> They say "IAX will not work with our service without a public IP
> address
> or FQDN."  (I think he meant to say "Our service requires a static
> public
> IP address or a FQDN that resolves to a static public IP address.")

> I really want to use my Asterisk server at home which sits behind a
> router
> and is on an RFC1918 address.

Yep, thats what mine does.
I have voip talk "Manage Incoming Numbers"
screen set like this:

Current Status:   IAX  ->  xxx.yyy.co.uk
(where xxx.yyy.co.uk looks up to my home ip address)

I have my home router set to port forward 4569 to my asterisk box
(it's an NSLU2 actually ) on it's 192.168.0.x address.

My asterisk has no registration in iax.conf.

All worked fine last time I tried.

Only thing is, I have a static IP on my ADSL account, so
it doesn't matter if they cache the lookup on xxx.yyy.co.uk.

Tim.