[asterisk-users] Waiting time to send the call

bilal ghayyad bilmar_gh at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 2 13:01:30 CDT 2008

Dear Tilghman;

There are cases, I have to use (.), so how can I increase the waiting time before sending the number.

Regards
Bilal

---------------------------
On Wednesday 02 July 2008 04:11:56 bilal ghayyad wrote:
> I mean, my analoge phone connected to fxs port, I need to place a call. I
> will pickup the handset and start dialing. What will happen if I delayed
> little to dial a digit? Then it will be considered that number completed
> and will be dialed (but actually it is not completed because I did not dial
> all my digits).
>
> How can I increase the waiting time while dialing my digits, so if I
> delayed, then I still have time to enter the digits (does not consider the
> number completed until an enough time of stop dialing the digits)?

Simple.  Don't use patterns ending with "." or "!".  Instead, specify all of
your patterns to the full digit length, and Asterisk will not signal a match
until the pattern is complete.  When you use "." or "!", you're specifying
that you don't know how long the pattern should be and that it CAN match
at any point, once you've satisfied the pattern digits preceding that
character.

I find that a good number of people are using "." in a pattern in situations
that are entirely unnecessary (such as local numbers).  The only place I have
a period in my dialplan is for when I'm dialling an international number, when
I don't know in advance how long the number should be.  A little bit of
planning goes a long way.

There is an option in 1.6, however, that will let you go back to the dialplan
and wait for more digits, by using logic in the dialplan to determine that.
The application is called "Incomplete", and it will be available starting in
1.6.1 (currently only in trunk).

--
Tilghman