[asterisk-users] Pros and cons of internal_timing

Matthew J. Roth mroth at imminc.com
Thu Jan 31 12:53:10 CST 2008

List users,

A recent post on MeetMe timing mentioned the internal_timing option,
which can be configured to have Asterisk asynchronously generate
outgoing RTP when a timing device (ie. ztdummy) is available.  This
allows Asterisk to produce outgoing audio in situations where no
incoming audio is arriving due to, for example, silence suppression.

This seems like a major improvement to the core functionality of
Asterisk, but a search of the lists, the wiki, and the book didn't
produce much information about the option.  We are a Business Edition
shop running ABE-B, which is based on the 1.2 codebase.  However, the
1.4-based ABE-C was recently released so I'm interested in the potential
pros and cons of internal_timing.

For instance, how much does turning on silence suppression on a phone
typically lower the bandwidth requirements per call and what are the
effects on features such as VAD and CNG?

Regards,

Matthew Roth
InterMedia Marketing Solutions
Software Engineer and Systems Developer

PS - I apologize for the threadjack, but it seems that my posts never
make it to the list when I try to start a new thread.