[asterisk-users] Maybe a little OT---USB Handset

John Millican jmillican at sentinelcommunications.com
Sun Jan 27 12:04:21 CST 2008

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, John Millican wrote:
>
>> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
>>> A USB handset is basically a sound device (and not a great one, usually)
>>> along with a small keyboard. Linux will usually easily identify the
>>> sound device and you can use the phone as chan_{oss,alsa,console}.
>>>
>>> Using the keyboard in it may be trickier.
>>>
>>> Do any of the above support cancelling acustic echo? Is it actually
>>> needed in this case?
>>>

>> Tzafrir,
>> Thanks for the reply. Acusitic echo cancel may not be needed as this
>> will not be used in a noisy work place, only in possibly quieter home
>> environments.  There will also be no need for speaker phone operation.
>> Enabling the keypad is definitely the tricky part. I am trying to avoid
>> how to use one (mostly NON-technical types).  If the set looks and feels
>> like a phone they will be OK on their own.  I guess I may have to go
>> with a decent, hopefully inexpensive, basic IP desk phone.
>
> I had a little success with a cheap USB 'phone' (From Tesco in the UK)
> which was a Yealink device. Linux has a driver for the keypad on it which
> makes it work just like a regular keyboard (limited number of keys,
> obviously!), but the issue is still that you'd need a program of some
> sorts to take the keypad input and translate it to an asterisk console
> command dial, if using it as a console phone.
>
> I did use it successfully some time back with idefisk, although idefisk
> didn't have a keyboard equivalent of 'hang up' at the time (zoiper might
> have now though). The down-side was that you needed to put the mouse over
> the idefisk application so it had keyboard input focus )-:
>
> Oh for a command-line IAX client, but it's something I just don't have
> time to put together myself.
>
> Gordon
Thanks for the replies.
I wonder if I could use the Yealink phone and write a connector to
Asterisk with the IAX client on Sourceforge and make the handset look
like an iaxphone?  Or maybe there is some other easier solution?  All I
need is to have the ability to go
off hook/on hook, pass DTMF, and voice obviously :-)
JohnM