[asterisk-users] Maybe a little OT---USB Handset

Zoa zoachien at securax.org
Sun Jan 27 11:51:18 CST 2008

Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008, John Millican wrote:
>

>> Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

>>> A USB handset is basically a sound device (and not a great one, usually)
>>> along with a small keyboard. Linux will usually easily identify the
>>> sound device and you can use the phone as chan_{oss,alsa,console}.
>>>
>>> Using the keyboard in it may be trickier.
>>>
>>> Do any of the above support cancelling acustic echo? Is it actually
>>> needed in this case?
>>>

>> Tzafrir,
>> Thanks for the reply. Acusitic echo cancel may not be needed as this
>> will not be used in a noisy work place, only in possibly quieter home
>> environments.  There will also be no need for speaker phone operation.
>> Enabling the keypad is definitely the tricky part. I am trying to avoid
>> how to use one (mostly NON-technical types).  If the set looks and feels
>> like a phone they will be OK on their own.  I guess I may have to go
>> with a decent, hopefully inexpensive, basic IP desk phone.
>>

> I had a little success with a cheap USB 'phone' (From Tesco in the UK)
> which was a Yealink device. Linux has a driver for the keypad on it which
> makes it work just like a regular keyboard (limited number of keys,
> obviously!), but the issue is still that you'd need a program of some
> sorts to take the keypad input and translate it to an asterisk console
> command dial, if using it as a console phone.
>
> I did use it successfully some time back with idefisk, although idefisk
> didn't have a keyboard equivalent of 'hang up' at the time (zoiper might
> have now though). The down-side was that you needed to put the mouse over
> the idefisk application so it had keyboard input focus )-:

In the mean time, idefisk (now called zoiper) has support for the
yealink chipset phones on windows, (no need to focus), but he is looking
for a solution without softphone.
I'm unsure if they have an SDK for linux, chances are bigger that the
intel HID standard based chipsets might have linux drivers that support
the hangup buttons etc too. (as those dont exist on a normal keyboard)